Friday, May 20, 2011

Cobble Beaches





OK, so yesterday, when our teacher was like "Hey, were going to observe cobble beaches today," I was 

like "Whaaat????" cause I have NO idea what cobble beaches are. Period. So, when we finally got to our mysterious cobble beach, I was actually surprised to learn that I already basically knew what a cobble beach is. Really, its a beach with a bunch of pebbles (for sand) and that hurts to step on.


Cobble Beaches are formed by glaciers, who "drive" through, and leave rocks behind.
 
We saw many organisms, like sea lettuce, rock weeds, sugar kelp, periwinkle, mussels, dogwinkle, barnacles, beach fleas, shrimp, herring gulls, black-winged gulls, rock crabs, sea anemones...


This unique, with it's rocky beaches, are found in some Maine shorelines, in the upper West Coast (Washington, Oregon...) 





Well, tired from the trip, but it was wonderful and I'm happy I now now the real name for "rocky beaches"...

No comments:

Post a Comment